Should I call the police if I’m in an accident?

What to Do If You’re In an Accident In Colorado

Drivers in Wheat Ridge, CO have to follow certain legal requirements, such as carrying a minimum required amount of automobile insurance. Even the most careful driver may be involved in an accident, and if you do, the first thing you should do is stop in the safest, closest place possible. You may need to move out of a travel lane, or even to a safer place like a police station if you are in a dangerous area.

One of your most important duties at the scene of an accident is to exchange information with the other driver or drivers. You need to provide your contact information, including your full name and address, and your registration and insurance information. A requirement Colorado has which most states don’t is that it requires anyone involved in an accident to file a report.

Collecting Information

You also need to get that information from the other driver. Besides fulfilling your legal requirements, you need to collect as much other information as possible about the crash. You should take pictures and get any witnesses’ information if there are any. If there is a lawsuit later, you need to have as much information as possible about what happened. 

Calling the Police

You are only required to call the police after an accident if someone is injured, if the accident caused damage to public property, or if the accident involves a crime like hit-and-run or operating under the influence. You can call your agent at CO Insurance Specialist to discuss what is happening too.

You will be safer calling the police after an accident, though, because the responding officer will be another witness who collects information. You can’t always trust the other drivers, so it’s better to protect yourself. If you live in Wheat Ridge, CO and have any questions about what happens after an accident, or if you want to discuss your policy, feel free to call CO Insurance Specialist today.